Wednesday, January 26, 2011

If Billy Graham would do it differently . . .

You may have seen the interview with Reverend Billy Graham that Christianity Today published recently. I love reading or hearing life lessons from seasoned, experienced (yes, older) people who have been around a few blocks a few times. I believe we can learn from others’ experiences, mistakes and the things that worked well.

We should heed wise words:

Christianity Today to Billy Graham: If you could, would you go back and do anything differently?

BG: Yes, of course. I'd spend more time at home with my family, and I'd study more and preach less. I wouldn't have taken so many speaking engagements, including some of the things I did over the years that I probably didn't really need to do—weddings and funerals and building dedications, things like that. Whenever I counsel someone who feels called to be an evangelist, I always urge them to guard their time and not feel like they have to do everything.

I also would have steered clear of politics. I'm grateful for the opportunities God gave me to minister to people in high places; people in power have spiritual and personal needs like everyone else, and often they have no one to talk to. But looking back I know I sometimes crossed the line, and I wouldn't do that now.


In summary: More time with family. Study more and preach less. Don’t do more than you should do.

via www.christianitytoday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment