Saturday, February 19, 2011

Should I Stay? Or Should I Go?


If you are like me, the anticipation of a thing can seem better than the thing itself. Until you get there.

I love the idea of going places -- The excitement of potential adventure -- Seeing something new. Experiencing a “never done that before.”

And then the day comes to PACK. And get the house ready to leave it. Clean out the fridge. Take out trash. Reorganize your purse to fit the 3-1-1 rule for the airport x-ray machines.

That’s when the I start to wonder if I really want to go. Is all this prep worth it?

The answer is YES!

Getting out of our comfort zone (or even our comfortable routine zone) is always a good thing for us to do. There are other euphemisms for this: Get out of your box. Get beyond your church’s four walls. Get outside yourself.

When I do something that upsets my normal routine (which I like – because I love my life), it changes my thinking and expands my world. It allows me to see the possibilities. It gives room for new relationships. It reminds me that the need is great for us to touch others. Hear their stories. Be an influencer. Be influenced.

Years ago, my son said something quite profound (especially for a young teenager): “You need to get outside of your comfort zone to make one for someone else.”


Are you willing?

No comments:

Post a Comment