Sunday, April 5, 2009

Not my agenda, but yours


I believe you should marry your best friend. Let me say it this way, I believe the one you marry should become your best friend somewhere during the courtship.

This is also why I think relationships need time before marriage to develop this kind of friendship. The kind of friendship that knows secrets, knows history, knows favorite colors, foods, and time-consuming hobbies. The kind of friendship that understands enough about each person’s parent’s marriage to know how it will affect their own. A friendship that tests times apart and long distance. A friendship that cherishes each phone call. And requires letters sometimes.

This kind of relationship says, “No, really, you decide.” “It’s no problem, I’ll wait.” “Yeah, we can do that today instead.” “Oh, that’s your holiday tradition? OK.”

“There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friend. “ (John 15:13)

The best way to show love? Lay down your own ideas, your own plans, your agenda for what he wants to do. Lay down your ego, your pride, your great thought, or your better way to get there for the other person. Sometimes that means being silent, not reacting, (No sighing, eye rolling – you get the picture). It’s all about keeping your thoughts to yourself when you’d really rather not.

Even better, it’s about pushing their agenda . . . pursuing what’s on his heart. Go the extra mile when you don’t feel like it. Go the extra mile when you do feel like it . . . and don’t wait for the acknowledgement (Sometimes it doesn’t come anyway).

Friends give each other the benefit of the doubt. They look at the intention of the heart and they are satisfied.

You see, we have counted the cost. He’s worth it. I’m worth it. Lay down your life. It’s the best you can give. Your marriage deserves it.

1 comment:

  1. Good word! I am happy to say I am married to my best friend!

    ReplyDelete