Monday, January 11, 2010

When I grow up . . . I want to be just like you


In recent weeks I have heard these words . . . and the humbling thing . . . the most humbling thing about this is that it was addressed to me personally.

It’s easy to brush it off. Act as if it doesn’t matter much. I could have heard it as an off-handed comment without much substance. But, instead, I received it as an assignment.

I have an assignment. You have an assignment. Someone should want to be just like me. Often I think it could be my daughter. After all, I’m a girl; she’s a girl. I like shoes; she likes shoes. I laugh easily; she also has a great sense of humor. Maybe there are characteristics that will become part of who my son is becoming. I like to read and be challenged and amazed by the complexity of words well written; so does he. I think I am a kind person; he is very kind, respectful young man.

But more than these two precious lives, I want to be an example to others beyond my immediate family. How do I do that?

Two words: On Purpose.

Purpose Defined: Something set up as an object or end to be attained. Intention. Resolution. Determination. A subject under discussion or an action in course of execution.

On Purpose: By intent: intentionally.

On Purpose – with firm conviction and intention I must decide that this is important and a primary objective for myself.

We know that January is a time, historically, for making resolutions. It’s a time that most people review, reflect and make a concentrated effort to identify the things in their lives they should change, improve upon, or add to their lives.

That’s what I am doing. For me, I want to do things on purpose. I want to use my time on purpose – for teaching, training, guiding, helping. I want to use my time wisely – in the serious things, and in the fun things. I want to use my time to play well. Rest well. Take care of myself well.

I want to use my time, on purpose, to be transparent to others, so that I am approachable, easy to talk to, open to ideas.

On purpose, I want to be a woman, known to love the Lord, love her family, her friends, her church, and along the way, like who I am as I do it.

How about you? Are you satisfied with yourself? Do you like you? Would you want to grow up to be like you?

It’s still January . . . a perfect time to review, reflect and make a new plan. Resolve. Do it on purpose.

Somebody’s watching.

2 comments:

  1. i Love this.


    you are an inspiration and a extraordinary role model.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Wonderful!!!!. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete